Early Years

Step into Kinder, Step into Prep

Commencing in Term 2 2016: Early Years Mornings, with Insight’s Junior Classroom teacher Hilary & Early Years Blind & Vision Impaired Orientation & Mobility Instructors and Occupational Therapists.

The Program provides explicit learning for blind and vision impaired children and their parents in braille, large print, maths, English, sensory skills and O&M.

All materials are provided, including braille readers to take home, tactual learning concrete materials, and home-based lesson resource guides – to ensure the learning continues at home for both parents and children.

Register your interest by ringing 9707 1585, or fill in the Contact Form on the right.

Step into Kinder Step into PrepV3

Image – Cartoon characters Kangaroo Marloo and joey Kikaroo. “We are all different but united at this wonderful school, when we stand together we can do anything anyone else can do!” – “Thursday mornings, including a structured playtime session in Insight’s sensory playgrounds and gardens”.

It all starts with Prep!

Why we need a specialist approach to educating blind and vision impaired children starting from their first year of school.

A specialist school may be described as a select entry school with an educational model or pedagogy which directs specific attention and commitment to achieving the best possible learning outcomes in one or more particular fields of study. Such schools work to develop the skills and talents of their students, not only in order to achieve academic success, but to acquire the high level of confidence in their abilities required to pursue the pathways to their chosen careers as they reach young adulthood.

Insight Specialist Primary School is such a school and a positive choice for the education of children who are blind or vision impaired. The bar is set high for our students within a model of educational excellence which incorporates a carefully planned transition to mainstream schooling when the time is right. Access to worldwide best practice in Explicit Instruction and the Expanded Core Curriculum specifically designed for blind and vision impaired students in combination with the Australian National Curriculum ensures systematic and measured progress through primary school as well as secondary and tertiary education, fully supported by highly qualified and specialist staff. Each day in the classroom our students learn in a way which develops their individual strengths and talents and creates an effective blueprint for future learning as well as a happy and fulfilling career in adult life.

It is a little known but completely unacceptable statistic that the rate of unemployment for those who are blind or vision impaired is close to 70% and that the remaining 30% includes many with an ’employment’ classification of just 4 – 6 hours of work a week. This of course would be deemed as totally unacceptable for the sighted population. It is therefore imperative to address this situation with a powerful model of specialist education and integration which is both understood and accepted by the educational and general community.

Parents of young blind or vision impaired students are warmly invited to join our ‘Step into Kinder, Step into Prep’ Early Years learning mornings in 2016, delivered by our Junior specialist classroom teacher and specialist guests (B&VI Early Years Orientation and Mobility instructors & Occupational Therapists) in order to kick start their child’s learning journey here, and at home whilst experiencing first-hand the programs and great school culture here at our Berwick campus. With an enrolment maximum of 8 students for our 2017/18 Prep intake, it is timely for families to consider a schooling option which optimises learning outcomes and future  opportunities for their children.

Our state of the art environment now includes new sensory play areas and gardens and further enhances Insight’s provision of the best possible educational environment for children whose learning needs are often difficult to meet within mainstream schooling despite the best efforts of all involved.

IMG_4096
Students enjoying recess in Insight’s accessible Playground.
IMG_1837
Real fruit, plastic fruit and raised thermoform images of fruit on a table at Insight.

 

 

Early Years take home Library bags with Insight Logo and Mascotte
Early Years take home Library bags with Insight Logo and Mascotte

“With school buses bringing students to the school on the M1 and M3 (from North, East, South and Western suburbs) and on the Peninsula Link, Insight is both an accessible and viable option for families. Parents will also be able to enrol their child in one of our satellite centres – soon to be established in K-12 mainstream schools across all four regions of Victoria (over the next 12 to 18 months).” 

Timothy Hemphill, Principal