Blind Sports Victoria and Insight Education Centre for the Blind and Vision Impaired, in collaboration with Funtastic Gymnastics, are proud to present the first Gymnastics program for blind and vision impaired children in Berwick. The Program is held every Monday morning from 9:30 am to 10:30 am in Enterprise Avenue, Berwick at “Funtastic Gymnastics”. Funtastic Gymnastics and Insight staff teach side by side to ensure each student’s individual needs are met.
The program offers all students an opportunity to learn:
- the basics on all the apparatus and a better understanding of the sport of gymnastics;
- how to use a wide range of gymnastics apparatus: floor, bars, vault, beams, trampolines, etc.;
- to walk along the long trampoline and jump into the foam pit;
- a number of other activities aimed at improving strength, coordination, and fostering an understanding of the importance of exercise and movement for our health;
- gross motor skills and posture.
Thanks to the support of Blind Sports Victoria, and its President, Maurice Gleeson, Insight students have the opportunity to develop crucial skills, while having fun.
The team at Funtastic Gymnastics was very open to working with our school and undertook specialised training with Kristie Hemphill from Keilor Gymnastics, who runs a similar program in the western suburbs of Melbourne.
We would like to thank the President of Blind Sports Victoria, Maurice Gleeson, for his leadership in developing opportunities and access to sport for our students. We are also very grateful for the sponsorship received from one of their partners, the Commonwealth Bank. This sponsorship has made the program possible.
FEBRUARY 2016 UPDATE: we are devastated by the news that a large portion of the gym at Funtastic Gymnastics was destroyed by fire. We hope that the damage was not too severe and that the premises can soon be restored and back in use. We wish everybody ad Funtastic Gymnastics all the best in the recovery process. In the meantime, we are organising an alternative venue for our gymnastics program.